Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Lighthouse Finance Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:42:30
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (92882)
Related
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Top US accident investigator says close calls between planes show that aviation is under stress
- Myanmar’s military chief says a major offensive by ethnic groups was funded by the drug trade
- Really impressive Madrid, Sociedad advance in Champions League. Man United again falls in wild loss
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- U.S. strikes Iran-linked facility after attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria continued
- Chick-fil-A announces return of Peppermint Chip Milkshake and two new holiday coffees
- Last 12 months on Earth were the hottest ever recorded, analysis finds
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Apple hits setback in dispute with European Union over tax case
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Massachusetts is running out of shelter beds for families, including migrants from other states
- Nigeria’s president signs controversial bill for a presidential yacht and SUVs for lawmakers
- Kenya says it won’t deploy police to fight gangs in Haiti until they receive training and funding
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- A Russian missile hits a Liberia-flagged ship in Odesa, Ukraine’s main Black Sea port
- Kel Mitchell Addresses Frightening Health Scare After Hospitalization
- Israeli strikes pound Gaza City, where tens of thousands have fled in recent days
Recommendation
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Hollywood celebrates end of actors' strike on red carpets and social media: 'Let's go!'
Missing 5-year-old found dead in pond near Rhode Island home
Yes, That Was Jared Leto Climbing New York's Empire State Building
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Albania’s deal with Italy on migrants has been welcomed by many. But others are confused and angry
Revisiting Bears-Panthers pre-draft trade as teams tangle on 'Thursday Night Football'
'Profound betrayal': Los Angeles investigator charged after stealing from dead bodies, DA says